Authors: Suchitra Chatterjee
Tags: #Zombie Apocalypse
“I have been given the chance to leave the way I want to leave, my final frontier is waiting for me, Buzz Lightyear was right, to infinity and beyond…”
Quote by the late Paul Dexter, resident of the Thorncroft Home for the Physically & Mentally Impaired
“You know, Lucia’s right, it did take the end of the world to make me happy,”
Quote by Seb Garrow, resident of the Thorncroft Home for the Physically & Mentally Impaired
“I have a boyfriend, he’s an American soldier, he’s called Curtis and he loves me,”
Quote by Jasmine Alder, Learning Disabled resident of the Thorncroft Home for the Physically & Mentally Impaired
“Since I got bitten by a Twice Dead, and survived, I have found that I am changing, I understand things I didn’t understand before, I’m stronger, faster and I like my meat raw. I still hate Zombies though, the bastards did this to me, whoever heard of an intelligent Redneck? Fuck!”
Quote by Private Bubba Declan, American soldier
“If you told me that a girl with a bum leg living in a home for disabled people would one day lead a battle against the Twice Dead in a forest, I would tell you that you were nuts. But it happened. And now she is taking on not only the New World Succession but the Twice Dead too…”
Quote by Private Kai Salter, American soldier
“Let’s put it this way, the Gay Scene will never be the same again, but at least we are alive, my only consolation is my ex is now probably a Twice Dead, or if I am really lucky, he got eaten by a Twice Dead along with the prick he dumped me for…”
Gabe Williamson, part owner of the Tea and Herb Cafe and married to Percy Williamson
“I fucking hate Zombies more than Private Declan, and Percy is right, Bubba’s arse should be used as a weapon of Twice Dead Mass destruction!”
Quote by Private Alejandro Rodriguez, American soldier
“I don’t think Hitler was hated as much I am right now. I have destroyed the known human world…”
Quote by Professor Aaron Zimmerman, Biochemist for the New World Succession, formerly based in Atlanta, Georgia, USA
“I have a new mummy and daddy now,”
Quote by Dov Rose, 4 -year-old Grandson of Rachel Bach and Great-Nephew of Aaron Zimmerman
“Lucy said to me I am a million times the man than Private Duke who called me a Mong is, but I still wish I had been with my family when the ‘poclypse happened, at least I would have been with them all…”
Quote by Stevie August, Downs Syndrome resident of the Thorncroft Home for the Physically & Mentally Impaired
“Lucia says I have to learn to use a sword, she say’s Dov is too little, but I am old enough!”
Quote by Seth Rose, 6 -year-old Grandson of Rachel Bach and Great-Nephew of Professor Aaron Zimmerman
“A recall to duty clause! He activated a recall to duty clause! The bastard!”
Percy Williamson, (Corporal) part owner of the Tea and Herb Cafe and married to Gabe Williamson
“I don’t know who are worse, the Twice Dead or the people running the New World Succession, at least the Twice Dead have the excuse of being Twice Dead, the New World Succession doesn’t’t!”
Quote by Lieutenant Nat Barnes, Officer & Medic in the American Army
“We need to be very afraid of the Twice Dead, they are evolving as a species, but we are not…”
Quote by Phoenix Nolan, Autistic resident of the Thorncroft Home for the Physically & Mentally Impaired
“My brother has played his part in the destruction of the human race, he did it out of love, a terrible love, wanting to save me and my family, may G-d forgive him…”
Rachel Bach, younger sister of Professor Aaron Zimmerman, retired Quantum Physicist
Glossary of Terms
Kabuki syndrome -
is a rare, multi-system disorder characterized by multiple abnormalities including distinctive facial features, growth delays, varying degrees of intellectual disability, skeletal abnormalities, and short stature.
Prader-Willi syndrome (PWS) -
is a rare genetic condition that causes a wide range of problems. These may include being constantly hungry, learning difficulties, behavioral problems such as temper tantrums, aggression and stubbornness.
Spinal cord injury (SCI)
- is damage to the spinal cord that causes changes in its function, either temporary or permanent. These changes can include loss of muscle function, sensation, or autonomic function in parts of the body served by the spinal cord below the level of the injury.
Down’s syndrome (also known as Down syndrome)
– is a genetic condition that typically causes some level of learning disability and characteristic physical features. Babies born with this condition after birth are likely to have some reduced muscle tone leading to floppiness, eyes that slant upwards and outwards, a small mouth with a protruding tongue, a flat back of the head below-average weight and length at birth and learning difficulties from moderate to severe.
Hypoxia (Brain damage) -
Lack of oxygen at birth can cause long-term disabilities and developmental delays. No two brained damaged persons are the same.
Asperger’s syndrome also known as Asperger's & High functioning autism (HFA) –
are developmental disorders characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, often nonverbal communication along with restricted patterns of behavior and interests. HFA is often applied to people who are deemed to be cognitively ‘higher functioning’ with an IQ of greater than 70, than other people with autism. The amount of overlapping HFA and Asperger’s syndrome is often disputed by medical professionals.
a major international multi-sport-event involving athletes with a range of physical disabilities. The Paralympic Games are organized in parallel with the
and take place every four years.
– this phrase was coined in 2012 by disability rights activist Stella Young in an editorial in Australian Broadcasting Corporation's webzine Ramp Up. The term describes when people with disabilities are called inspirational solely or in part on the basis of their disability.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
– Based in Atlanta, Georgia, in the USA, the CDC works with partners at the local, state and national level to monitor and prevent disease outbreaks (including bioterrorism), implement disease prevention strategies, and maintain national health statistics.
Amazing resource that was well used.
– Referenced by the characters Cassidy and Paul (Disney World and Buzz Lightyear)
– Song “All About That Base,” – lyrics “
all the right junk in all the right places.
Parable of the Sower, published by Warner books in 2001, Quote from Lauren, a character with an unusual disability, she is able to feel the pain and sensations of others, “
All that you touch you change, all that you change changes you, the only lasting truth is change.
, (1892-1973) Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, published by Harper Collins, 2012, Quote from King Theoden as he gets ready to go into battle, “
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadows, the days have down in the West behind the hills into shadow, how did it come this?
Things Unborn, published by
Earthlight in 2001, sadly now out of print but a brilliant book.
– An amazing racing car driver, it was only fitting that the character of Seb would name his customised chair Lewis in his honour.
Dr. Sandra Lee aka The Pimple Popper
– YouTuber Superstar – I love Dr. Lee and I had to find a way to reference her in this book!
– Very popular and long running BBC weekly British Soap.
– Commercial entertainment/Communication system. Perfect for Bee in the SKY technology!
– What would we do without Apple, even in a Zombie Apocalypse?
– Low cost sports items.
– A popular low cost supermarket which sells the delicious spicy Meatster stick.
century book doesn’t have EBay in it?
Blade: The Series
– short lived but popular Vampire series starring Kirk “Sticky Fingaz” Jones.
Pamela Lyndon Travers
, (1889-1996) Mary Poppins – Who can forget that bag that contained everything, including the kitchen sink I suspect!
Lots of Zombie games on the X-Box!
– Adapted Makaton is fictional, but Makaton itself is real.
Makaton is a language programme using signs and symbols to help people to communicate. It is designed to support spoken language and the signs and symbols are used with speech, in spoken word order.”
‘The Queen’s Hidden Cousins’
- A 2011 Channel 4 documentary that tells the true story of Nerissa and Katherine Bowes-Lyon, the present Queen's first cousins who had severe learning disabilities. At the of 22 and 15 respectively they were both admitted to the Royal Earlswood Hospital, also known as the Royal Earlswood Asylum for Idiots. It was here they lived and died, Nerissa in 1983, Katherine in 2014. In all that time, they received no visits from any member of their family, including their Aunt, the Queen’s mother who was ironically the Patron of the learning disability charity MENCAP.